The Roaring Gazette

The Roaring Gazette

The Issue With Junk Food

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Issue With Junk Food

Ema D., Writer

You’re at your local grocery store when suddenly, something catches your eye: the colorful aisle of chips and unhealthy snacks. You know it’s not good for you, but those snacks just taste so good. Almost everyone knows that junk food, such as chips, candy, soda, and more have a negative effect on people’s health. What not a lot of people know is that not only does junk food harm your body, but it can also harm your brain. A recent study at the University of New South Wales, in Australia, displays the effects junk food has on your brain. Scientist Margaret Morris was giving her rats a memory test in her lab when this was discovered. Both groups of rats had seen these objects before. There were objects in the box where the study was happening, and her rats knew those objects. She rearranged the objects in the box and a group of the rats that have no memory of the objects that were previously somewhere else. That group of rats had been fed junk food for two weeks. Another group of rats had recognized the objects, and those rats had been fed with low-fat and healthy chow. Food makes the same impact on humans, as well. Most unhealthy snacks get rid of bacteria that prevent sickness and keep your memory intact. Rob Knight, a scientist at the University of California, San Diego recommends eating yogurt, for it is packed with healthy bacteria. This doesn’t mean that you cannot eat junk food ever again. Eating some unhealthy foods once in a while is fine. Knight mentions, “It is the long-term habits that matter, not what you ate yesterday or will eat tomorrow.”  

• Opinion

March Madness Predictions

• The Issue With Junk Food

Pop Culture

All About The Super Bowl Halftime Show

• The Issue With Junk Food

Politics

The History of the NFL Kneel

• The Issue With Junk Food

Opinion

A Review: The Black Panther

• The Issue With Junk Food

Pop Culture

The Mona Lisa

• The Issue With Junk Food

Pop Culture

Review: Turtles All the Way Down

• The Issue With Junk Food

Pop Culture

Nutella is Changing Things Up

• The Issue With Junk Food

Pop Culture

Wonder by Raquel J. Palacio

• JW Student News

SMOB Elections 2019

• The Issue With Junk Food

Pro Sports

NFL Draft Predictions: 2019

The Issue With Junk Food