Readers Are Leaders

Back to Article
Back to Article

Readers Are Leaders

Catherine O., Writer

On Thursday, October 25, I attended a club meeting for Readers are Leaders. Readers are Leaders is a club headed by Ms. Anderson, JW’s Read 180 specialist, and Ms. Messing, one of the sixth grade English teachers. They encourage sixth, seventh, and eighth graders to read, read, read. They meet on the last Thursday of every month to discuss whichever book was assigned to read for that respective month. When I attended, we had gotten the book, Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix. During these discussions, snacks and fruits were put out for the students. In other words, they read, eat, chat, and repeat! A part of Readers are Leaders, is sort of a “mini-club” called Book Wars, which gives students the opportunity to compete with students from other schools on reading comprehension. The students will read the books, then go and face off with other students.

Too many students do not like to read because they think it is boring, useless, or because they are too occupied with other activities. Students should be reading more because it gives them the opportunity to expand their imagination. Additionally, it keeps you mentally stimulated, reduces stress, and you acquire knowledge while reading. Next time you have some free time, go to a library at JW or at our public library, sit down on a comfy chair, grab a snack, and read, read, read!