The Roaring Gazette

The Roaring Gazette

The Migrant Caravan

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Migrant Caravan

A caravan of thousands of migrants from Central America, en route to the United States, makes its way to San Pedro Tapanatepec from Arriaga, Mexico on Oct. 27, 2018.

Reuters

Reuters

Reuters

Fiona P., Writer

The caravan of more than 7,000 Central American immigrants continues its journey, despite the many challenges coming along including the scorching heat, severe hunger, and the Mexican border patrol. For those who are not updated: The Central American migrant caravans, also known as the Viacrucis del Migrante (“Migrant’s Way of the Cross”), are migrant caravans organized by Pueblo Sin Fronteras (People Without Borders) that set off during Holy Week in early 2017 and 2018. Composed of people who fled gang violence from the Northern Triangle of Central America (NTCA), the caravans travel from the Guatemala–Mexico border to the Mexico–United States border. There have also been smaller unrelated caravans in previous years and a larger unofficial caravan in late 2018.

Most migrants are fleeing from persecution, poverty, and violence in their home countries of Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador. Many of them have set their goal to settle in the U.S. even though there are so many obstacles, including warnings from U.S. officials, prosecution, and deportation threats. They are staying in temporary shelters in the border cities of Tijuana and Mexicali. This is the largest known caravan of migrants to head toward the U.S. border under the Trump administration.

Trump launched a tweet stating that “Sadly, it looks like Mexico’s Police and Military are unable to stop the Caravan heading to the Southern Border of the United States. Criminals and unknown Middle Easterners are mixed in. I have alerted Border Patrol and Military that this is a National Emergency. Must change laws!” (CBS News).

There is no evidence that there are Middle Easterners in the caravan. Many felt that the response to the migrant caravan from the administration was exaggerated. However, there is no clear solution to what would happen if all the migrants came in.

For the best idea of what the U.S. government would do, consider what happened when a caravan of about 1,500 Central American migrants reached the U.S.-Mexico border in April 2018. Of those 1,500, only about 250 legally remain in the U.S. pending an immigration hearing. Only three have been granted asylum. Some of the other migrants who arrived were kept in detention or deported.

Trump has repeatedly told crowds at his rallies “This is the election of the caravan” (CBS News). 

But after the election, he has not mentioned the issue.

The whole dynamic shows how difficult it is to deal with this issue.

• The Migrant Caravan

Politics

Midterm Elections

• The Migrant Caravan

Politics

The History of the NFL Kneel

• The Migrant Caravan

JW Student News

Readers Are Leaders

• The Migrant Caravan

JW Student News

The Jag Steppers

• The Migrant Caravan

JW Student News

JW 6th Grade Students on Settling into a New School

• The Migrant Caravan

JW Student News

GSA Club

• The Migrant Caravan

Politics

Midterm Elections

• The Migrant Caravan

JW Student News

Magnet Program Applications

• The Migrant Caravan

Politics

The History of the NFL Kneel

• The Migrant Caravan

Opinion

A Review: The Black Panther

The Migrant Caravan