The Roaring Gazette

The Roaring Gazette

Midterm Elections

Back to Article
Back to Article

Midterm Elections

Kobina A., Writer

Every four years, Midterm Elections are held. The Midterms decide who will represent American citizens in their federal, state, and local governments. This year more than ever, people in the younger demographic have been excited to vote, and have encouraged other people to vote. Also, this year’s Midterms will have been the most intense in years. Democrats are hoping for a “blue wave” of supporters to be fueled by rage and disappointment because of Donald Trump. This year, the entire House of Representatives and about a third of the Senate will be up for grabs. For the past couple of years, Democrats and Republicans have gone back and with either party controlling the Senate and/or the House of Representatives. However, Republicans currently hold the power in both the House and the Senate. They would like to keep it this way so that they can pass laws that Donald Trump would want to have in the United States. To gain control of both, Democrats would need to keep the seats they have, gain twenty-three in the House, and two in the Senate. If either of these were to happen, Democrats could stop more laws Republicans want to pass. Furthermore, Republicans hold an advantage over the Democrats on a state level as well. There are thirty-three Republican, sixteen Democrat, and one Independent governor. People are also keeping an eye on toss-up states; where either party can be voted in. Some of these states include Florida, West Virginia, Arizona, Indiana, etc. But, the amount of Democrat candidates running for office have doubled in the past four years. In addition, a record number of female candidates are running for office, and three states (Maryland, Florida, and Georgia) have the chance to elect their first African American governors. Multiple people will be watching the polls during the evening on voting day. So, whatever happens to this country, depends on the polls November 6th.

• Midterm Elections

Politics

The Migrant Caravan

• Midterm Elections

Politics

The History of the NFL Kneel

• Midterm Elections

JW Student News

Readers Are Leaders

• Midterm Elections

JW Student News

The Jag Steppers

• Midterm Elections

JW Student News

JW 6th Grade Students on Settling into a New School

• Midterm Elections

Politics

The Migrant Caravan

• Midterm Elections

JW Student News

GSA Club

• Midterm Elections

JW Student News

Magnet Program Applications

• Midterm Elections

Politics

The History of the NFL Kneel

• Midterm Elections

Opinion

A Review: The Black Panther

Midterm Elections