The Roaring Gazette

The Roaring Gazette

A Review: The Black Panther

Vass S., Writer

5 stars out of 5

On opening weekend, Black Panther, the Marvel Studios film about an advanced, isolated African country and its new king, is estimated to have brought in over $600 million. I’m no massive Marvel fan, or superhero fan for that matter, but I know that this movie is arguably one of the best Marvel movies ever. The movie has superb characters and plot, and the action added to the movie’s great overall structure. Along with the pleasing African-futuristic aesthetics, the action and character development were to die for.

The movie begins with a backstory of the hidden country, revealing how a meteor of Vibrainium crashing in the middle of the land brought great technological advancements, but also isolation to the country, Wakanda. We learn that the king, T’Chaka, has recently died, and his son T’Challa (Chadwick Boseman) is set to inherit the throne. After the ceremonial “swearing in”, T’Challa, now equipped with his new Black Panther suit developed by his sister, Shuri (Letitia Wright), has to intercept the buying of vibrainium, and runs into Ulysses Klaw/Klaue (Andy Serkis), and his old CIA friend, Everett Ross (Martin Freeman). Meanwhile, Erik Killmonger (Michael B. Jordan), a merciless killer bent on revenge, finally makes it to Wakanda in hopes of taking over the country that took everything away from him, including his father.

Especially in today’s environment, one of Black Panther’s best elements is the emphasis on characters who were traditionally underrepresented in the superhero genre. The main location is in Africa and most of the cast members are African or African-American. The strongest Wakandan warriors are female, promoting gender equality. Another key aspect of the movie is the outstanding plot and the quality of the character development, especially in Killmonger’s case. A few heart-wrenching plot twists result in the viewers staying on the edge of their seats, or maybe to the point of crying. On the other side of the spectrum, the occasional joke sends the crowd into fits of roaring giggles. The extremely advanced Vibrainium technology and weapons and the cross between futuristic and traditional Wakandan culture result in a constant eye candy for tech nerds. The superhero nerds, on the other hand, had lots of action, references (watch out for Stan Lee!!) and superpowers to please them. Black Panther earned a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes, 7.9/10 on IMDb and a 5/5 on Common Sense Media. If you haven’t seen it yet, or aren’t planning to, definitely put it at the top of your movie list as Black Panther deserves a 5 (out of 5) for the well-rounded character development, as well as the action and jokes. [NOTE: Spoilers were avoided in this article in the hope of getting readers to watch Black Panther]

• JW Student News

Hoods and Hats

• A Review: The Black Panther

Opinion

Creationism as an Alternative?

• A Review: The Black Panther

Opinion

Minimum Wage in Montgomery County

• A Review: The Black Panther

JW Sports

Archery Club at JW

• A Review: The Black Panther

Pop Culture

The Mona Lisa

• Short Stories

Jimmy Johnson

• JW Student News

Green Team

• A Review: The Black Panther

Pop Culture

Review: Turtles All the Way Down

• Short Stories

Delusion

• A Review: The Black Panther

Reviews & Ratings

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

A Review: The Black Panther