The Roaring Gazette

The Roaring Gazette

1984: A Review

Vasa S., Writer

1984, George Orwell’s masterpiece, is thought of as a classic, or a must-read. The almost post-apocalyptic story about extreme censorship was written in 1949. 1984 is timeless and popular, because of the growing threat of our world becoming similar to the world described in the book.

The unique plot keeps readers on the edge of their seats. It begins in a time when men have no thoughts of their own. The government has forced people into a frenzy about war, and brings down the people who don’t conform to their rules of “War is Peace”, “Freedom is Slavery” and “Ignorance is Strength”. The people are brainwashed into a state of practically no personal thoughts. The 4 ministries: of Love, of Peace, of Truth, and of Plenty, are the exact opposite: of torture, of war, of lies, and of scarcity, respectively. The government, represented by Big Brother, is always watching. Any action you take or thought you make (if bad, known as thoughtcrime) will be observed. If they see you take any action that is not allowed, you could be tortured to the point of insanity in the hopes of making you “sane”, or even killed. Though the main character, known as Winston, acknowledges this, he takes many risks that could get him killed.

The best element of this novel is its character development. The changes Winston undergoes are vividly shown. Mr. Orwell also succeeded in adding a spoon of romance, a pinch of action and a cup of suspense. All in all, everything a book should have. Get all this and a lot more in the masterpiece, 1984, by George Orwell.

[NOTE: Spoilers were avoided in this article in the hope of getting others to read it.]

• 1984: A Review

Opinion

A Review: The Black Panther

• 1984: A Review

Pop Culture

Review: Turtles All the Way Down

• 1984: A Review

Reviews & Ratings

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

• 1984: A Review

Pop Culture

Nutella is Changing Things Up

• 1984: A Review

Reviews & Ratings

Review: Bridge to Terabithia

• 1984: A Review

Pop Culture

Wonder by Raquel J. Palacio

• 1984: A Review

JW Student News

Readers Are Leaders

• 1984: A Review

JW Student News

The Jag Steppers

• 1984: A Review

JW Student News

JW 6th Grade Students on Settling into a New School

• 1984: A Review

Politics

The Migrant Caravan

1984: A Review