Are Chromebooks a Good Resource, and Should We Use More Technology?

Eric C. and Matthew P.

Eric: If you’ve been asleep for the last three years, Chromebooks are a revolutionary new invention. They’re not just computers – they have changed the game. They have changed the way we write papers, take tests, and turn in our work as students. It is quite incredible how quickly Chromebooks have become integrated into the schedule. Personally, I love the Chromebooks. In all seriousness, one word: awesomeness. It is a great way to do work – heck, I’m writing article on a Chromebook right now! As an eighth grader who has used Chromebooks for three years, I must say I am impressed. Another benefit of the Chromebooks is how environmentally friendly they are – they save so much paper. Not to mention on some tests, students can use digital calculators. Soon enough, this whole school will be digital. I am very excited to see how we can improve, if that is even possible! Next thing you know, we’ll have jetpacks . . . 

We can still turn assignments in once we go home – this means that teachers can assign us work online once we go home! We can’t use some of our old excuses anymore. A rare problem is that the internet server crashes – it crashed pretty recently, two or three months ago, but they got that fixed in only one day! At first, some students were confused on how the Chromebooks worked when we got them in the school, however, at the end of the year, nearly everyone was an expert and thought that the Chromebooks were pretty cool. One final issue was that during the first year of testing, we had major problems with servers, and so testing was delayed for a day or two. Nevertheless, just like everything else, with practice comes perfection! We have managed to take countless tests since, with little to no problems!

Matt: Alright Eric, give it a break. Really, are they the tech of the future? They may be a “game changer,” but there are numerous downsides. You can’t access documents offline. If you want a document with no internet access, to you have to turn on a certain setting, and then be on the document before you go offline. Plus, the entire thing runs on Chrome, which, FYI, is not nearly as good as Firefox. Another thing you can’t download is “Steam” or any other applications. Basically, you can’t download anything not from the Chrome store. The Chromebook is essentially a (pardon my wording, MCPS) budgeted option that allows Google to control everything you can download. Chromebooks really only work for students. The good thing is that they are cheap and are workable.

Sure, I’ve addressed tons of downsides, but at the end of the day, Chromebooks fit the needs of the school. This could inspire new, improved technologies to come in. In conclusion, the Chromebooks are fairly useful, but they are nowhere close to the “tech of the future.” Like I said, other technologies are still in play. Inventions are still being made, and ideas formed. Who knows, maybe there may be a compromise!

• Are Chromebooks a Good Resource, and Should We Use More Technology?

JW Student News

End of the Year Trip

JW Student News

Readers are Leaders Club!

JW Student News

Spring Break in Costa Rica!

JW Student News

Color Run: Background, Details, and More!

JW Student News

Inside Makerspace

JW Student News

Homework Club!

JW Student News

Spring Fling Thing!

JW Student News

Stem Night @ JWMS

JW Student News

Fundraising at Chipotle — Chiptopia

JW Student News

Spirit Week!