The 2016 Election

Eric C., Writer | Reporter

Debates

The presidential election was a great race for all candidates! There are many thoughts on the candidates, but before we talk about that, let’s go back to the first debate.

The candidates debated aggressively with each other. Hillary Clinton brought up Donald Trump’s hidden tax returns, and Mr. Trump cleverly responded with how Mrs. Clinton hasn’t showed us her 33,000 emails yet.

According to an informal poll on CNBC, out of the 1,110,924 polled, 68% said that Mr. Trump won the first debate, even though Hillary Clinton made a few good points on how Donald Trump wasn’t relatable like her, because she came from a middle class family.

The second presidential debate received a record number of 84 million views. Donald Trump claimed to have won, but when no one agreed, he blamed it on his microphone and the moderator, as well. According to Rolling Stone magazine, many say that Hillary Clinton won the second debate due to her cool-head and the negatives she raised about her opponent’s campaign.

The final debate was on Wednesday, October 19, 2016. According to an online ORC poll, 52% said that Hillary Clinton won the debate, and 39% said that Donald Trump won the debate. In the same poll, 60% of the people said Donald Trump spent more time attacking his opponent, while 23% said that Hillary Clinton spent more time attacking her opponent. Finally, 15% thought that they both spent an equal amount of time attacking each other. Donald Trump has claimed that Hillary was cheating, and that the polls are rigged.  

Donald Trump said, “I will accept the results of this great presidential election… if I win”.

Results and Reactions

The results came in, and Donald Trump won. Mr. Trump won most electoral college votes overall. 

Donald Trump, President Elect

Donald Trump, President Elect

The reactions to this outcome have varied. Supporters of Trump look forward to his presidency and what is to come. However, both hate crimes and peaceful protests have occurred in an effort to change the results of the election. In Maryland, we have had protests in the form of organized walkouts from Montgomery Blair High School, Richard Montgomery High School, and more.

Editing: William H., Emma N., Natalie W., & Ryan W. 

• The 2016 Election

Politics

Current Events – From the Oval Office to the Movie Theatre

• The 2016 Election

JW Student News

End of the Year Trip

• The 2016 Election

Comics & Comedy

How to Hallway

• The 2016 Election

Comics & Comedy

EXISTENTIAL CRISES WITH SAMANTHA WILLIS: A Comedy

• The 2016 Election

Short Stories

Games of Glass: Part Three

• The 2016 Election

Pro Sports

Pro Sports: What You Missed in April

• The 2016 Election

JW Student News

Readers are Leaders Club!

• The 2016 Election

JW Student News

Spring Break in Costa Rica!

• The 2016 Election

Pro Sports

Sports Lately: March 2017

• The 2016 Election

JW Student News

Inside Makerspace

The 2016 Election